Industrial Décor And How to Get The Look
The industrial style is a popular interior décor style which is inspired by old factories, workshops and industrial spaces. It refers to a pared down, minimal, no-frills, and utilitarian style of décor which emphasizes comfort and a raw appeal over ornamentation. The philosophy behind “industrial style” is a returns-to- the- basic approach to using organic materials, straight, simple lines and shapes that reveal the internal beauty of the source material. The emphasis is on using recycled, reclaimed wood, metal, glass and leather.
What are the main features of industrial style furniture?
Industrial style furniture
- Rustic wood and exposed metal are a key combination of industrial furniture design. Recycled, reclaimed wood is a firm favorite.
- Vintage or antique pieces can be used to add character.
- Distressed leather is favored for chairs and sofas. Leather adds a very masculine feel to the overall appeal. Leather sofas or armchairs in browns give a very warm lived in appeal to the room.
- Soft texture furnishings are a strict no as are plastics.
- Furniture is mostly composed of linear silhouettes. You will not find too much carved wood or ornate engraving. Most furniture will be blocky, austere looking, non fuss functional design.
- Functionality- More emphasis on functionality over decoration, on comfort over ornateness.
- Colors- Favored colors are earthen hues like brown, olive green and neutral hues like beige, white and grey. The metallic sheen of metal is also found very frequently.
What are the main features for industrial style lighting?
The main feature for industrial type lighting is bright no-fuss light . Just like in the factories and workshops, lighting was meant to be illuminate spaces, especially workspaces, very clearly. Hanging lights over work tables which floods the work area(kitchen island. Office table, dining table) can be used. Understandably there is no place for diffused or indirect romantic type of lighting.
- While picking out your light fixtures, select those that capture the raw, factory feel. Hanging Edison lights, dark metal pendants, sculptural LED fixtures and task lamps are the way go.
- Metal dome pendant lamps- Metal is the preferred material for lighting. Some plain polished glass sconce lamps are also seen.
- Cage type lighting- This type of lighting wraps metal bars around the lightbulb to form a “cage” around it.
- Edison light bulb is a firm favorite for the industrial type décor.
- Colors like gleaming copper lamps, polished gunmetal are great additions to the raw industrial feel.
What is urban industrial design style?
Urban industrial style is minimal and uncluttered designs which relies more on functionalism than ornamentation.
What is the origin of industrial design style?
Industrial Design style is a design aesthetic that gradually evolved in the 70s in England and the USA, at a time when old industrial buildings had to be converted to residential spaces. Industrial style interiors are characterized by large open spaces, exposed structural elements, reclaimed objects as well as metal, brick, wood and concrete textures.
How can we create industrial style lighting ?
While picking out your light fixtures, select those that capture the raw, factory feel. Hanging Edison lights, dark metal pendants, sculptural LED fixtures and task lamps are the way go.
In which kind of places can you find industrial style interiors?
Industrial style interiors are quite common in restaurants, pubs, malls and offices.
What kind of art and wall décor are possible in industrial type of rooms?
Walls can be adorned with contemporary abstract art, maps, photographs and vintage posters. Butterfly or insect preserved on boards, roll up notice boards, leaves preserved under glass boards, metal cut outs of shapes are also popular.
What kind of décor objects can be used in industrial style of design?
The industrial style is basically a no fuss style with clean lines, less ornamentation, high on utilitarianism, therefore it does not advocate a lot of accessories or ornaments. But a few well chosen objects of décor can be used to highlight the lived in and comfortable feel of the industrial design. A few sentimental objects, organized books, boxes, trophies, globes, raw materials and sculptures can be added.
Can plants be used in industrial style of interiors?
Plants can be selected to add character to industrial style décor. Structured plants such as fiddle leaf figs and succulents can be planted in metal or galvanized pots, wall planters or hanging planters from the ceiling. Succulents go very well with metal pots.
What kind of fabrics can be used for upholstery in an industrial style room?
Use leather, heavy linen, wool, jute and faux fur for comfort and a lived-in style. Soft printed fabrics, curtains are not common.
What are the architectural features that are common to industrial style interioris?
High pitched ceilings and exposed architectural elements including; beams, pipes, rivets and iron framed glazed window sectionals to divide spaces.
What are minimalistic colors?
Simple color palettes like blacks, whites, neutral colors like beige, brown earthy tones, dark greens and navy blues. For leather tan colored furniture is highly popular. Liberal use of metals like copper, iron, tin and aluminium is advocated.