Roost Hanging Branchy Starburst Indoor Holiday Decorative LightsBy Roost
Kalalou Antique Turquoise Pendant Light with Glass and Wire CageBy Kalalou
Modish is your one-stop shop for home, indoor and outdoor lighting fixtures including chandeliers, ceiling lights, pendant lights, wall lights, table lamps, desk lamps, lampshades, and ceiling fans from classy and reputed brands and designs. Set the mood of any room with unique and beautiful lighting from Modish. Lighting fixtures are jewelry for your interior design. Sconces and pendant lighting will be jewel your rooms like elegant earrings. Chandeliers are on-trend and will give any room a lift. Solve your task lighting needs with modern or rustic desk lamps. Ceiling lights, lamps, and sconces from Modish will tie your design scheme together in style.
A Guide to Lighting up your home
Your choice of home lighting fixtures is much more complex than choosing the right finish to match your decor. You’ll want to make sure the lights you purchase are not only stylish, but functional for the space you plan to use them in. Depending on the room you're lighting up you will have to what goes best- a pendant or chandelier? Track light or wall sconce? Cabinet or recessed lights?
For example, while pendants may sound visually appealing in the kitchen, consider how much light they actually provide and whether you need to combine multiple types of light fixtures to achieve optimal brightness for the tasks at hand. Check out this list of common home lighting types to help you shop:
- Pendant Lamp:A pendant light is a comparatively smaller fixture suspended from the ceiling by a cord, chain or cloth covered wire. Pendant lights traditionally include only one light source, so they don’t cover as much ground; several are often used to cover more space. There are many styles of these lights, including bamboo pendants and metal drum pendants, making it easy to find one that will fit your decor. They work well when you’re trying to showcase a smaller, specific area, such as a kitchen island or a dining room table.
- Chandeliers:Chandeliers have multiple light sources combined in one unit to create a larger, more dramatic statement piece. Unlike pendants, they produce a stronger glow and therefore can often stand alone. Chandeliers are traditionally more elegant and more expensive than other indoor lighting fixtures, and therefore are used less frequently — you may see one in an entryway or a formal dining room.
- Wall Sconces:Mostly used as mood lighting, a wall sconce is any kind of wall-mounted light fixture. It provides dimmer, less vibrant illumination and is therefore likely to be used in multiples down a hallway or near a front door.
- Recessed Lighting:If space is an issue, recessed light fixtures are a great option, because they take up no space at all; a fixture is inserted directly into the ceiling. Because they are often used as accents in a larger space, such as a kitchen or living room, recessed bulbs are almost always used in multiples. Although not as common a use, they can also be inserted into floors and walls to provide additional brightness in dark spaces.
- Cabinet Lighting:These lighting fixtures are mounted underneath a cabinet or shelf and provide illumination for a particular task. They are most often placed in kitchen cabinets to act as pinpointed spotlights for cooking, but they can also provide accent brightness for home office or living room shelves.
- Track Lighting:Like a chandelier, this interior lighting source includes several lightbulbs in one fixture, but instead of being grouped together, the bulbs are strung along a horizontal track. Tracks are a more casual way to get a lot of illumination in one space, and therefore they look good in less formal settings, such as a hallway, an office or a kitchen. Most of them can be positioned to highlight specific areas, which makes them great for showcasing artwork.
- Floor or Table Lamps:If you’re looking for a more traditional light fixture, you can always opt for floor lamps or table lamps. Because of their many different shapes, sizes and designs, they are often a great way to add some flavor to your living room or bedroom. Lampshades are easy to switch, so if you’re looking for a fresh, new look for your room lights, you can change them out as often as you like.